The Rooftop bar @ the Standard Downtown L.A

Wow.
What a place to have a drink.
Earlier met with Saskia and Micah for a drink at a whiskey bar called Seven Grand. Put Ghetto Defendant and Guns of Brixton on the jukebox, while sipping drinks and navigating pool cues from the too close for comfort pool table.
Then Saskia suggested we go onto the Standard's Rooftop bar.
And that's where the wow came in.
A bar on top of the world, with projections of a film going out onto a neighbouring building. A super blue swimming pool. A live DJ. And the amazing Blade Runner-esque wraparound view of skyscrapers, all lit up beautifully:
When you step out of the lift, and hit the fresh air, all those floors up and see the skyscrapers, you are literally stunned. I couldn't stop staring, it was unreal.
After staying at Chateau Marmont and then coming to the Standard Downtown for drinks, I am seriously impressed by Andre Balazs' vision. Impeccable. I can't wait for his hotel to open up the road from me on Chiltern Street. Seriously exciting.



The antique silent movies organ in the hotel reception is a nice touch, as are the station/ airport style photo-booth (yes, we took pictures) and the old fashioned finger dial phones (which remind me of my childhood: my mother's index finger working our cream coloured set).

0 comments:

Post a Comment